It has been a while since I've shared a savory dish on here
I mean like a real savory dish, not a soup or a salad, or a sauce. You know, something you can actually have for lunch or dinner ;). Thankfully, this particular savory dish DOES NOT disappoint!
It’s one of those amazingly delicious hybrids that takes two all-time favorites and marries them for one very special union. It’s pretty self explanatory with a name like Chicken Tikka Masala Pizza. You get all the exciting flavors of Chicken Tikka Masala in a portable, comforting pizza package and it is divine!
I remember when I first got the inspiration for this while making a traditional Chicken Tikka Masala and being so excited to try it. It took a while for me to attempt it that first time, but since then I have been tweaking and testing to bring you my favorite version of this super satisfying pizza.
While you can use a pre-made Tikka Masala sauce for this, I think the extra step of making your own is what takes this dish to the next level. It is a fairly simple sauce to make and is packed with tons of delicious flavor.
Take that extra step. You won’t be disappointed!
While the sauce differs from my traditional Tikka Masala sauce since I wanted it thicker and more of a pizza style sauce than a sauce for a stew, the marinade for the chicken is the same one I use when making the famous Indian dish. It’s simple enough, combining the quintessential Garam Masala with a few extra spices and some yogurt to tenderize the chicken and keep it moist and flavorful in the final product.
The sauce and chicken are layered on Naan with fresh Mozzarella and caramelized onions to make these personal pizza pies. After some time in the oven to crisp up the crust and melt the cheese and get everything beautifully situated, I like to top them with fresh chopped cilantro which really adds that final, fresh touch to the whole dish.
Trust me when I say these Chicken Tikka Masala Pizzas will become an instant hit from the very first bite (if not sooner!!!). Other than being absolutely amazing in the flavor, comfort, satisfaction, delicious, crave-worthy, etc. departments, they are such a great prep ahead dish. You can have all the components ready and in your fridge and just assemble and bake the pizza when you’re ready to serve.
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 lb Chicken Tenderloins, cubed
- 1/4 cup Tikka Masala Sauce (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped Onion, (about half a large onion)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper, or to taste
- 1 15-oz can Tomato Sauce
- 3/4 - 1 cup Coconut Cream
- 1/2 large Onion, sliced
- 4-5 Flatbread or Naan
- Tikka Masala Sauce
- Caramelized Onion
- 16 oz Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Whisk together the Garam Masala, salt, cumin, coriander, pepper and yogurt.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat. Allow to marinate for at least one hour and up to 24 hours.
- Once ready, sauté until cooked through. Stir in about 1/4 cup of the prepared Tikka Masala Sauce if desired.
- Heat some oil in a pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until soft, about 3-5 mins.
- Add the garlic, salt, Garam Masala, ginger, and crushed red pepper and cook a few minutes more.
- Add the Tomato Sauce and simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Add the coconut cream and simmer 5-10 minutes more, until sauce has thickened.
- Heat the oil and add the sliced onion, sautéing over medium heat until caramelized.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread a few spoonfuls of sauce over the Naan. Top with a few slices of fresh Mozzarella, caramelized onion and chicken.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and enjoy!!
- This recipe will make about 4-5 Naan Pizzas with sauce leftover.